Friday, June 10, 2011

Meet your Hamilton Ambassadors!

MEET ANN MARIE FORTINO AND ROSE DI GIOVANNI!


Ann Marie and Rose have been the Co-Chairs of the Hamilton Walk for Muscular Dystrophy for the past two years and have been involved with the Volunteer Planning Committee for the past three years. Both Ann Marie and Rose wanted to be further involved as each of their lives had been touched by muscular dystrophy. The fact that they both work at the same school made it easy for them to come together to work towards a common cause.

Ann Marie was diagnosed with FSH Muscular Dystrophy 15 years ago. “It has been a physical and emotional struggle from the time I was diagnosed. I maintain a positive attitude and live everyday with purpose and determination.”


Rose’s son Sebastian was diagnosed at age 4 with duchenne muscular dystrophy and she became involved with Muscular Dystrophy Canada immediately after. “It was a way of getting information, support and hope.” The Walk for Muscular Dystrophy “ is a way for me to feel like I can do something positive that will help my son and anyone else affected with a neuromuscular disorder.”

Rose and Ann Marie not only raise awareness for neuromuscular disorders through the Hamilton Walk for Muscular Dystrophy, they also host an annual Car Show & Shine at St. Thomas More CSS whose proceeds support the Walk for Muscular Dystrophy Canada. “This community has been so supportive of our efforts to spread awareness about the walk.” Rose acknowledges. Ann Marie “visits many businesses within Hamilton and surrounding area to promote and solicit information about the Walk and the fundraiser. These two events bring much awareness to the Hamilton community in regards to muscular dystrophy.”

The Hamilton Walk for Muscular Dystrophy brings together local community members and businesses but most of all it brings together families that are affected by neuromuscular disorders. Rose describes “There is such an overwhelming show of support and that truly affects the families in a positive way. It also allows us to meet other people affected by neuromuscular disorders so that we feel like we are not alone. It’s a great experience for all those involved.” For Ann Marie, “The walk provides my family and I the opportunity to come to together to raise money for the cause and also to meet new people with some of the same challenges and generate relationships and friendships.”

Last year, Ann Marie was a speaker at the Walk and shared her story. “It took a lot of courage and strength to be able to talk openly about my disability in front of a large group. I haven't been able to in the past so this was a big step for me… Without the love, support and help of my family, friends and co-workers I wouldn't be where I am today. I want them to know how much they have touched my life and I appreciate everything they have done for me.”

Thank you Rose & Ann Marie for you continued dedication and support and for being this year’s Hamilton Walk for Muscular Dystrophy Ambassadors!

Remember, together we help make muscles move! But we can't do it without your support. Please visit www.muscle.ca/walk to select a walk in your area. Donate or sign up to participate today!



No comments:

Post a Comment